Thursday, May 21, 2015

Sega Saturday (On Monday): The Top Ten Sonic Songs of ALL TIME Directors Cut (with the Great Epic T.O.)



Tweet Me! @CultIcon

I love Sonic the Hedgehog. I know, who doesn't right? For my entire lifetime, that pesky, lightning quick blue hedgehog has captivated video game (and TV) audiences with his Superman speed, chilly dog addiction, unbelievably bizarre mouth movements (the highest of comedy) and penchant to have a three tailed fox named Miles "Tails" Prower follow him around everywhere. And while his newer games have at times been...terrible (what? There's no good way to put it), Sonic remains a cultural icon to this day, Sega's Mario if you will. Like Richard Gere is to Hansel in Zoolander, Sonic is a hero of mine. And hopefully he's a hero of yours too.


So why are we talking Sonic? Because, after much deliberation, myself and my friend, The Great and Epic T.O. (full name), decided we needed to do a Sonic related column for Sega Saturday. And well, other than the fact that it's clearly not Saturday, we got the job done. Our topic; the top ten Sonic songs of all time! There's a twist here though; we're each going to do a separate list. For example, you'll first read my #10 entry, and then immediately read T.O.'s #10 entry, and so on and so forth. You'll get the hang of it. Anything to add, oh epic and wise one?

I was a late entry into Sonic fandom, thanks to having older brothers who were Nintendo fan boys. It wasn’t until I had a job and could afford my own consoles that I played my first Sonic game – Sonic Adventure 1 and 2 for the Dreamcast (seriously Sega, get your asses back in the Console Wars! The X-Box One sucks, and as much as I love my PlayStation 4, the people demand a Dreamcast 2!). So, I’m not entirely beholden to the 16-bit Sonic tunes. Eh, it is what it is. Sorry, Genesis fans.
That said, I fucking LOVED Sonic Adventure 2, so expect a lot of that on my list. While it had some atrocious voice acting at times (looking at you, Rouge and Tails), it also had some of the most amazing gameplay and graphics for its time. Plus, seeing Robotnik/Eggman have to work together with his nemesis? Solid gold! Plus, as bad as some of the voice acting was, Sonic, Knuckles, and Shadow brought their A games.

Side question: If Shadow was a lab creation, how did he know he had a super form? That part always bugged me. Also, how many different sizes did the Master Emerald have? At times it fit in Knuckles’ hand, at other times it was bigger than everyone but Eggman.

Ah, nitpicking is fun. ON TO THE LIST!

 
10.
Cult's pick: His World (Sonic the Hedgehog)

Is that good old Zebrahead I hear singing this one? I remember the time they did Maria Kanelis' theme during her WWE run; fun times. I honestly don't know what to say here. It's not a bad tune, but it comes from by far the worst Sonic game ever invented and sounds like a lesser version of "Reach For the Stars". The best thing I can say about this tune; it made the list. Which means it must be good. Right?

T.O.'s pick: Stage Complete theme (numerous Sonic games)

I’m cheating here, but to hell with it. After 10 to 20 minutes of blazing through a level, you’re often greeted with this short little ditty that emphasizes how successful you were (and in the case of Sonic Adventure 2, a letter grade corresponding with your performance on that level). It’s only 5 or so seconds long, but it’s a damned catchy 5 seconds. A lot more catchy than its counterpart of Super Mario Bros, that’s for sure.


9.
Cult's pick: Open Your Heart (Sonic Adventure)

I would've expected this to be higher on the list. The boys at Crush 40 do their job with this tune, which is provide an energetic opening song for what remains my favorite game in the Sonic canon. Why's it down here then? Because the rest of this list is that damn good. To even make it is an honor. The kind of honor that's reserved for those who get to meet Randy Orton or throw beer cans at the male lead from Fifty Shades of Grey.


T.O.'s pick: Reach for the Stars (Sonic Colors)

Ah, the game that pushed the franchise back from the brink. What the hell was Sonic Unleashed about, anyways? A werehog? Perfect Dark (come on Rare…) Gaia? Chip?! I’m generally not a fan of songs like this, to be honest. Probably why it’s this low on the list. But, Cash Cash created a catchy little tune that showed the Sonic franchise still had life left in it. It’s upbeat, much like the titular hedgehog. What more can you ask for?

8.
Cult's pick: Escape From the City (Sonic Adventure 2)

Talk about expecting songs to be higher on the list; I expected to name this number one. I love this tune! It's catchy as hell, it opens the really underrated Sonic Adventure 2, it's the song for one of the most fun 3D levels Sonic has ever produced. I would've bet my entire Dreamcast game collection this would've been at worst in the top three of this list. Alas, upon further listen, it slots in at nine. What a day. WHAT A CRAPPY DAY!


T.O.'s pick: His World (Sonic the Hedgehog)

I hated this game. Like, really despised it. Almost destroyed the franchise (that, and Unleashed). That said, this song was pretty boss. It’s a fairly good representation of everything Sonic stands for – he’ll do anything to defeat evil, and do it with a smile on his face and a hitch in his step.

7. 
Cult's pick: Fly in the Freedom (Sonic Adventure 2)

Here's the thing about Sonic music; you generally know what you're going to get with it, which is a lot of alternative/punk for everyone not named Knuckles and hip hop for everyone named Knuckles. Straight up pop? Not generally on the menu. Fly in the Freedom, the theme of Rouge (or as Knuckles calls her, Bat Girl) is a straight up pop song; you could see Katy Perry cover this today and not even blink an eye. The best part is that it's actually bearable. I'm by no means a fan of pop music, but "Fly in the Freedom" works surprisingly well. Now if only Knuckles' name calling was better. Bat Girl? Word of advice Knuck (can I call you Knuck), next time use an insult that doesn't compare your enemy to a pretty cool comic book character. Bat Girl isn't an insult you fool!

T.O.'s pick: E.G.G.M.A.N. (Sonic Adventure 2)

This sharp little ditty demonstrated how much of a bad man Dr. Robotnik/Eggman really is. He’s always got a master plan, and he’ll make sure you know about it. The metallic, mechanical tempo in the background reminds you of the evil doctor’s love of machines, and how he’ll use them to destroy you. Plus, it’s got to be fun to just yell out “I AM THE EGGMAN” whenever you want to make someone take notice, right?

6.
Cult's pick: I Am...All Of Me (Shadow the Hedgehog)

Is it just me, or do the songs for Shadow just absolutely rule? If I can quote skateboarding legend Chad Muska from his glorious Tony Hawk: Underground cameo, those songs are "louder than a Metallica concert!". That would've been his greatest gift to society if he hadn't followed that line up with one of the greatest unintentional comedy quotes ever. "Muska, chillin chillin." Stop slaying me with your words Chad!


Back to this Shadow song. Like I said, the songs for this character are just awesome. Absolutely heavy, absolutely catchy, the kind of music that makes you want to watch the opening scene of xXx. Which of course leads to you immediately regretting watching the opening scene of xXx. That Shadow, always getting the most badass things. No wonder he's one of the most popular characters in the canon. Chicks dig the anti-heroes. Which probably explains why my brother foolishly spent tens of dollars on that Shadow game. Mistake bro, mistake.

T.O.'s pick: Open Your Heart (Sonic the Hedgehog)

You know, I’m just going to echo most of what Cult said here. Not much more I can add. Fun song, and a killer Sonic introduction onto the next generation of Sega consoles (*cries*).

5.
Cult's pick: Live and Learn (Sonic Adventure 2)

My partner in crime here absolutely loves this song. I think it might actually be his favorite of the group. As I run the site however, it gets put at number five. Come at me haters!


Look, this isn't a bad tune in the slightest, otherwise it wouldn't be here. Crush 40 rocks as hard as they always do, the song is as catchy as per usual; it fits the Sonic song criteria to an absolute T. Again though, I must repeat that this list is very strong. I'm talking Roman Reigns strong, or at least as strong as he is in my buddy Mazza's mind. I know you don't know that yet because you haven't read it, but trust me, the other songs take it to a whole other level. "Live and Learn" takes it to just one other level. It doesn't mean it's bad, it doesn't mean it doesn't rule, and it doesn't mean I'm not adding it to my walking playlist for my next Chill Zone run. It's just no "All Hail Shadow" (spoiler alert). Now if you'll excuse me, I have to duck for cover while T.O. throws tomatoes at me.

T.O.'s pick: A Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Sonic Adventure 2)

I pretty much have to echo a lot of what Cult said (spoiler alert to what Cult said). I’ve grown out of touch with the modern world of hip-hop (don’t get me started…), but this tune subtly underlines the eerie feel of Pumpkin Hill. Knuckles is a badass who needs to find the shards of the Master Emerald, and won’t let the spooky setting get in his way.

4.
Cult's pick: Reach For the Stars (Sonic Colors)

To say I was 100% surprised to love this song would be 100% accurate. How was this so good?! "Reach For the Stars" basically has everything going against it; it wasn't done by Crush 40 (composer Tomoya Ohtani and elctro dance band Cash Cash were behind the song), it's a song that came after the dark cloud known as Sonic the Hedgehog and it sounds like an unholy cross of a Blink 182/Owl City collaboration. But dammit, the song works. It's perhaps the most catchy song of the Sonic catalogue, the drum work is quite good and somehow the punk/electronica mix just works. Bravo to you Cash Cash. Let's hope you find your way to Muska's chill lair sooner than later.

T.O.'s pick: Escape from the City (Sonic Adventures 2)

There’s a running theme here. Get it? Running? Sonic? Ah, same to you…



From the moment you begin this game, you understand that Sonic is…the same he’s always been, really. Always on a roll (…), never one to let someone contain him. As you drop from the G.U.N. helicopter, snowboarding down the streets of the city (Station Square?), you’re reminded of what makes a Sonic game fun. Pure unadulterated speed and chaos as Sonic escapes captivity. Even a comically oversized truck is no match for Sonic as he barrels down through town. It’s a shame G.U.N. forces end up re-capturing him. This song demonstrates the hectic pace of the level and also backs up how Sonic cannot be contained. “Trust me and we will escape from the city” indeed.

3.
Cult's pick: A Ghost's Pumpkins Soup (Sonic Adventure 2)

You probably know this song better as the Pumpkin Hill theme, the song that plays throughout that creepy Knuckles level in SA2. Turns out the name is "A Ghost's Pumpkins Soup." Why? Ask Hunnid-P, the dope MC who dropped this track. And make no mistake, this is a cool tune. I'm not a huge hip hop guy, but even I can't deny that this song sticks out, and has ever since I was a kid. What makes it great; it fits the level. I may not have brought this up enough, but that is a big deal. A video game song, or any song for a form of entertainment really, can't just be great, it has to be great within the confines of where it's being used. "A Ghost's Pumpkins Soup" does just that; it's cool, eerie beat fit perfectly with the cool, eerie setting that is Pumpkin Hill. It's easily the best hip hop tune Sonic has.

T.O.'s pick: Fly in the Freedom (Sonic Adventure 2)

Like I said, I loved SA2. Full disclosure: I love pop and R&B music. So this was pretty much a no-brainer. I’ve never heard of Tabitha Fair until I looked up who wrote this song, but it made me want to look up more of her stuff. Outside of Amy Rose (ugh), there wasn’t really a prominent female character in the Sonic franchise until Rouge the Bat debuted in Sonic Adventure 2. So, the music probably required a change of tempo. From the rock and hip-hop to a more smooth, sultry rhythm, this tune helped build Rouge as different from her male counterparts: feminine, but still very much to be reckoned with.

2.
Cult's pick: All Hail Shadow (Sonic the Hedgehog)

Let's be real; the PS3/X-Box 360 Sonic the Hedgehog is absolute sludge. You ever see any M. Night Shyamalan film after Signs? The Sonic reboot is all of those movies rolled into one big ball of suck. And yet, it produced this masterpiece right here. My goodness, what a damn good song! Dare I say it's Crush 40's masterpiece? I know that's high praise seeing as all their songs are top notch, but this one just continuously blows me away. Musically, it's tight like a tiger. Character wise, it fits Shadow even better than "I Am...All Of Me" does. And most importantly, this song helped make Sonic the Hedgehog, the Tommy Wisseau of video games, more enjoyable. That would get any other song number one here. Alas, only two here, which is A okay. Can I also just thank Sonic Generations for resurrecting this song in the awesome Sonic/Shadow level? About damn time this song found a great game to be a part of.

T.O.'s pick: I Am...All of Me (Shadow the Hedgehog)

Shadow is probably the perfect video game doppelganger, in my opinion. He shares pretty much EVERYTHING physically with his original, yet doesn’t have a diametrically aligned back story. He’s “supposed” to be evil, but has a purpose, a raison d’être for his actions. He’s not truly a bad guy (hedgehog?), he’s just being extremely loyal to those close to him, especially Maria Robotnik. 

 “I see no, hear no evil, black writing's on the wall
Unleashed a million faces, and one-by-one they fall
Black-hearted evil, Brave-hearted hero
I am all, I am all, I am”

If this doesn’t fully paint a picture of the chaos going on inside Shadow’s mind, nothing will. Shadow has no true purpose in life (he’s a lab creation, after all), and is not a prisoner of his actions. He’ll see to it that whatever he wants done GETS done, no matter the cost.

1.
Cult's pick: E.G.G.M.A.N. (Sonic Adventure 2)

That's right, the number one song is the villain's song, and boy does it feel good. Let me tell you something now; you haven't lived life well enough until you've walked around your house screaming the lyrics, "I AM THE EGG MAN!" as loud as you can. What a glorious thing to do! And that's why this song tops the charts here. It checks off everything on the list, and then goes even deeper by being the goofiest thing I've ever heard. That just makes it even more fun. You'll laugh, you'll cry, and you'll jam to this wonderful, over the top epic. Well done Paul Shortino and Jun Senoue; you guys are number one. Seriously though, did you doubt Jun getting here? Sonic bows down to that man.

T.O.'s pick: Live and Learn (Sonic Adventure 2)

Mr. Icon was right, this is my top Sonic song of all time. Up there with the Psycho Mantis theme from Metal Gear Solid for my favorite video game song of all time. This song is the main theme for the game (an instrumental version plays on the main menu), and it also plays in key segments of the storyline (such as Sonic figuring out how to destroy the Eclipse Cannon in the Hero Story). Moreover, it serves to set up the epic battle both Super Sonic and Super Shadow have against the Finalhazard in the finale. Crush 40 brought their A game here, with an up tempo rock song demonstrating the urgency Sonic and Shadow face as they have mere minutes to destroy the lizard before it obliterates Earth, “Can you feel time slipping down your spine?” You will if you fail to destroy the Finalhazard in short order.

That's it! Anything to add T.O.?

There’s this fan video splicing together scenes from several Sonic games that you can check out here. In fact, I’m going to make this Roman Reigns’ theme on WWE 2K15, as soon as I can FIGURE OUT HOW TO DOWNLOAD THEMES ONTO THE GAME! Seriously 2K Sports, you idiots. Oh, and I hope you enjoy tomatoes, Colt Iken! *throws a bushel*

And that'll do it.Till next time, tell DUCHOVNY to get his ass in gear and make Evolution 2 already!


 
Check out the songs!
E.G.G.M.A.N.


Follow Cult and the Great Epic T.O. @CultIcon and @TakeoverTO83
Email Cult at fallenhero17@yahoo.com

Please change disks to continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment