Sunday, April 26, 2015

Belvedere: A Cult Tribute



I'm starting to wonder what is happening to me. Back when I used to write wrestling columns on the Lords of Pain Columns Forum, I was a pretty lively dude. There were lots of pop culture jokes, Pizza Pringles references, a variety of gifs and memes, and frequent professions of love for the female wrestler Paige. Twelve posts into this venture, and the best I can do is post a gif of the Wayne's World guys bowing down over and over again. That's good, but it's not good enough. You deserve better reader. And just like Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight, I'm going to give it to you. Which starts with me once again professing my love for Paige. Call me woman!

 


But enough about me and my love interests, there is writing to be done. I want to try something here that I used to do often when writing wrestling columns. One of my most popular pieces was a series called the Cult Tribute, where I would take a wrestler who wasn't as popular as some of the big names and do a write up on his career. Simple, but effective, like the EA's NHL series. What I'd like to do here is the same format, but for a non wrestling entity. Instead, I'd like to write about one of my favorite bands, a melodic hardcore punk band stationed out of Calgary (dramatic pause), Alberta, Canada. They're not nearly as big as musical acts such as Nickelback (yuck) or Pink Floyd ("we're not worthy!"), but they're an awesome group that people should know more about. So let's stop copping "Z"s in the bush (you're welcome Tom Berenger), it's time to get started. This is Cult Tribute for the best non Flames, non Hitmen, non Hart Family thing about Calgary, Belvedere.


Cult Tribute: Belvedere


What You Already Know

If you are in America and are reading about this, you probably know next to nothing about Belvedere. And seeing as the USA has made up approximately...hold on, doing the math...96% of my audience thus far, that appears to be almost everyone. Apologies to you, my lone Canadian reader. Here's a gif of Angelico jumping of a roof to make you feel better.



This will never get old


What You Didn't Know

In the words of that guy who sounded like Ahnuld in a video I watched years ago, here comes the good part. Belvedere was formed in Calgary all the way back in 1995 by guitarist/lead singer Steve Rawles, bassist Brock (evidently he joins the likes of Teller, Cher, and every Brazilian soccer player in having no last name) and drummer Dan Hrynuik. The band's name comes from the 1980's sitcom Mr. Belvedere, which if you're keeping score at home is about as punk rock as Orlando Bloom is good. The goal was to create a skate/melodic hardcore punk band in the same vein as Bad Religion and NOFX, two of the best California punk bands ever. The band got off to a rocky first few years, including a couple lineup changes and no major releases. By 1998 however, the band solidified their lineup, replacing Brock and Hrynuik with Jason Sinclair and Jay Hollywood (who would later be replaced with Graham Churchill) and adding guitarist Scott Marshall. They also released their first full length album, Because No One Stopped Us, a decent first effort that was notable for being shorter than the average Community episode and featuring a song with sound bites of Stone Cold Steve Austin. The song title in question was...The Bottom Line. Shocking, I know.

For the next few years, Belvedere built up a decent level of success, and became known throughout their hometown for their fast paced, energetic live shows. They remained productive, releasing two more full length albums (Angels Live in My Town, 'Twas Hell Said Former Child), a split EP with fellow Calgary band Downaway (Hometown Advantage) and toured with the Warped Tour and idols Bad Religion. Their big break however, didn't come till 2004, when the band released their fourth and thus far final album Fast Forward Eats the Tape. The record served as their biggest release to date, receiving high marks from critics, three music videos and a major tour with Death By Stereo, Tsunami Bomb and Misconduct. For all intents and purposes, Belvedere looked as if they were going to blow up, Jeff Winger's ego in Community Season 3 style. Alas, it wasn't to be. After the tour, Belvedere pulled a Jawbreaker and called it quits, disbanding after one last show in their hometown in 2005. Rawles and Churchill continued to perform, forming the band This Is a Standoff and releasing three albums between 2007 and 2011.

Like any band however, breakups don't last forever (thank goodness). In 2012, Rawles got the band back together, and Belvedere returned for a reunion tour throughout their home country. They're not done either; more tours have been planned, and Rawles and Sinclair have separately confirmed that material is being written for their first album since Fast Forward Eats the Tape. When it will be released is unknown, but rest assured, much like the opening of Mad Max: Fury Road, I will be there. And yes, it'll be a lovely day.



Best Song



This was a tough one, as I quite enjoy songs like Brandy Wine, Slaves to the Pavement, Paradise and 2nd Column (then again, that may just be because I enjoy sound bites from the film Falling Down). In the end, the best song in Belvedere's catalog has to be the one with their best title; Two Minutes for Looking So Good. Appearing on 'Twas Hell Said Former Children and playing as one of their more melodic tracks, Two Minutes was written in tribute to both hockey and Calgary Flames great Joel Otto. It's fast, it's energetic, it'll make you want to pump your fist and go out and buy one of those awesome Flames sweaters. The song was so good, Belvedere re-recorded the song for Fast Forward Eats the Tape. Personally, I still prefer the rawer, less polished original. I know, I know, I'm a hipster. Send all your hate mail here!



Also check out:


Conclusion

The best way I can sum up Belvedere is one word; awesome. As a punk rock devotee, you don't get much better than this group right here. If you like more melodic sounding hardcore, these are you guys. If you like fast paced skate punk, these are you guys. If you like songs with sound bites or references to hockey and Don Cherry, these are your guys. I unfortunately haven't gotten to see Belvedere perform, as I discovered them after they had broken up. Rest assured, like Stephen A. Smith every time someone rightfully insults Floyd Mayweather Jr., I will be there when they do. Till then, join me in jamming to this underrated band, and the best modern day Canadian punk rock band. Sorry Flatliners, High Five Drive and Daggermouth. I still love you!

That'll do it. Yup, starting to feel more like me already. I'll be back tomorrow, probably with another Daredevil review. Feels about time I got back to that right? Till then, thanks Wikipedia, send all your advanced free tickets of Mad Max: Fury Road directly to me, save that can of Pizza Pringles, tell whoever is showing that Game of War commercial with Kate Upton to get it off my screen, go Cubs, go Flames, down with the Ducks, drink Pepsi, and make sure you don't come down with a raging case of DUCHOVNY! 



Please change disks to continue...

No comments:

Post a Comment